Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), commonly known as food stamps, helps people with limited income buy food.
- If you already get SNAP and need help, contact the SNAP center where your case is currently serviced.
- Applicants and participants can find out their SNAP case status by calling the Human Resources Administration at (718) 557-1399.
You are not required to screen for eligibility before applying for SNAP.
- You can download (PDF) a list of eligibility requirements and necessary documentation.
You can see if you are eligible using ACCESS NYC's eligibility screener.
- Community Based Organizations also screen applicants for eligibility and can help you apply for SNAP.
How to apply
- Apply online using ACCESS HRA.
- Pick up an application at a SNAP center.
- Print out an application and drop it off at a SNAP center.
- You can call the Infoline, Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM, at (718) 557-1399 to have an application mailed to you, check the status of your SNAP application and recertify.
- Fax your application.
- Mail your application to:
Mail Application Referral Unit
P.O. Box 29197
Brooklyn, NY 11201
- If you have a disability, medical condition or mental health condition that makes it hard for you to apply for or get SNAP benefits, you can make a request for reasonable accommodations.
- If you cannot keep your application interview or if you missed your interview you can reschedule your appointment, by calling (718) 923-6044.
- Once you have submitted your recertification form, you can have your recertification interview by calling (718) 762-7669.
- To request a fair hearing, call (800) 342-3334.
- The Human Resources Administration will contact you and make an appointment within five days of receiving your application. You will have an option for a telephone interview.
- If you apply at a local SNAP center, you can be interviewed the same day.
- If you are eligible for SNAP, you will receive them within 30 days.
- If you qualify for expedited processing, you will get an interview within 2 days and you can receive your benefits within 5 days.
- If you would like to make a complaint about SNAP, call the Human Resources Administration's Central Complaint Unit at (718) 291-4141.